Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School

Bramton 'The Ellis' C of E Aided School

"The school offers a wealth of different experiences and opportunities in which students can learn and flourish"

Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School Life at Brampton The Ellis C of E Primary School

Our School History

Our Founder, George Ellis

Born in 1627, George Ellis was a local landowner and benefactor who lived in the Manor House, now known as Brampton Hall, at Brampton Bierlow. He founded the original school at Brampton in 1680 and, when he died in 1712, his will included the following:

"I bequeath to the school in Brampton six pounds thirteen shillings and four pence per annum for ever for the teaching of 20 of the poorest boys or girls to read the Bible and instructing them in the Church Catechism....and if there be not at any time hereafter the full number of poor boys and girls in Brampton and Wath to be taught, that number be made up from the neighbouring towns."

The school was opened on Monday 9th April 1866.

The land was given by Lord Fitzwilliam on 28th May 1864.The school was built in 1865 at a cost of £689.16.00. Accomodation was for 180 although there were 200 pupils on the books.

A residence was available for the Headmistress.

The trustees give financial support for major building works, books and general equipment for school. They also finance a Reading Support scheme in school, and in the past few years helped finance development of the playground and ICT resources. The Chairman of the Trustees has included such distinguished peers of the realm as Earl Fitzwilliam and the Earl of Halifax and the Earl of Scarborough.

The Governors have independence in the appointment of staff and in deciding the policies of the school.

Our school belongs to the Diocese of Sheffield. We have very close links with our local Church, Christ Church in Brampton Bierlow.

Children visit Church on many occasions throughout the year.